Assistant Store Manager/Keyholder
Urban Mattress Berkeley
Location: Berkeley, CA
Overview: At Urban Mattress, we live by the mantra, “We create raving fans”. This position requires someone to own that mantra for the Berkeley/Bay Area.
The ASM/Keyholder is the heart & soul of the Urban Mattress Berkeley team. He/she will be responsible for providing education and consultation to customer on mattress and sleep needs, facilitating the end-to-end sales process, providing excellent customer service, working with non-sales staff to streamline store operations, and demonstrating top-notch teamwork in a dynamic environment to help support and grow the Urban Mattress team. Additionally the ASM/Keyholder will be responsible for opening and closing the store each morning/evening, handling cash and deposits, coordinating some in-store events, and liaising with the store’s corporate parent.
Out of our customer’s view, you oversee all store operations, like inventory & visual merchandising. You’ll also work to a place where you’re actively building your team, including hiring, training, and developing team members. Supporting Urban Mattress is a complex job, but you make it look simple.
You don’t need to know anything about mattresses to be successful in this role, but you do need to be motivated to learn and have the drive to create raving fans.
- Serve as a mattress and sleep concierge who educates and provides consultations to customers
- Stay current and knowledgeable on information regarding all products
- Manage the end-to-end sales process with customers, including mattress fitting, collection / tracking of payment, scheduling and confirmation of delivery.
- Sell the customer appropriate full solution / getting customer correct full solution to avoid returns/dissatisfaction
- Complete the sale (including adding sleep accessories to maximize the full sleep solution)
- Meet/maintain a certain percentage of overall monthly sales
- Meet/maintain a certain sales conversion rate
- Utilize point-of-sale system and other programs / systems to support sales process
- Ask questions and build rapport with customers to deeply understand their needs and provide the right full solution to fit their budget and lifestyle.
- Handle all customer service issues / needs promptly and appropriately
- Use resources to assist customers – Financing, Contacting Reps, using product guides
- Provide outstanding service throughout the entire customer experience.
- Track vendor orders, invoicing and payment
- Work with Delivery and Inventory Manager to coordinate accuracy of actual inventory with point-of-sale system
- Process daily and weekly credit and cash sales batches
- Work with back-office and/or Franchise staff for miscellaneous reports, requests, and processes as needed
- Track and coordinate fulfillment of store supply needs
- Manage and coordinate employee schedules
- Maintain appropriate showroom and store setup, including cleaning and general upkeep
- Help to build the Urban Mattress brand by sharing the story and differentiators, both inside the store and within the local community.
- Demonstrate and maintain strong working relationships and teamwork
- Additional tasks as needed
- Strong passion for working with and interacting with people
- Self-motivated and self-starter with a proven track record of effectively operating independently
- Tech savvy, including experience with point-of-sales systems
- 2+ years work experience, preferably working with people or in a business development, customer service, or similar environment
- Motivation to grow within the organization
- Excitement around interacting with the community at large
- Must be able to work weekend days and evenings
- Must have reliable transportation to Urban Mattress Berkeley
- This position requires the ability to move about inside the store to a) guide customers through the showroom and explain the product b) maintain and clean the showroom
- This position requires the ability to operate and use a computer in support of the sales process
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs
- You have demonstrated leadership ability with at least two years of experience in a customer-centric setting
- You have strong people and presentation skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You’ll need to be flexible with your schedule. Your work hours will be based on business needs, which will typically require 40-55 hours per week.
- Compensation: Salary + Bonuses, depending on experience. We’ll set performance based goals and incentives early, and check in regularly. Your success is our success, and vice versa.
- 10 days paid vacation per year
- Four paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no calls or drop-bys.